Just a quick update to say i haven’t forgotten about everyone.
I have been working my ass off to get everything sorted, we are 90% there.
I still don’t have a delivery ETA as frustrating as it is.
I will keep you updated on any big developments, so if i don’t post an update ever week or two, don’t panic, I’m still here and sorting this mess out.
I apologise for those missed comments, apparently indiegogo didn’t seem to think it was important to let me know.
I hope you’re all doing well.
Thank you so much for your ongoing patients and understanding, it’s very much appreciated, i know how easy it is to get frustrated by delays.
I hope you all enjoy your weekend, or what’s left of it 🙂
I’m a week late, I very much apologise for that, i have been awaiting an email from the chip manufacturer during this time and as there wasn’t much to update you all on, it seemed kind of redundant to post an update saying “nothing to update”.
As the title says, 1 issue down, 1 more to go, We have managed to fix one issue so far, but it has revealed another issue that was hiding in the background. I am just in contact now with the chip manufacturer who is sending over some information at some point about how to try and combat this issue. So fingers crossed, this solves the issue and we can move on and start the process of getting these shipped out to you 🙂
I will post an update as soon as there is something worthwhile posting.
Thank you for all your support and reassurances via email, it really is very much appreciated.
This update will be pretty small unfortunately, but i did promise one, so here goes.
I have received the samples, I have been looking them over and testing them for the last 2 days and gathering as much info as possible for Texas Instruments (the company that makes the chip on the power supplies), We had a little breakthrough but apparently there is some other underlying issue left, So we are one step further than we was a few days ago, Hooray.
I will post another update 1 week from now as Ti will be closed for the weekend and there is some more troubleshooting to do.
Hope you all have a great weekend.
OK, so unfortunately, not a lot has changed.
They have sent me information about why exactly the tests are failing is pretty much what i said in the last update, the PSU boots fine, but not every time.
As a result I have sent some working PSU’s so they can try and see what’s going on and why they are unable to produce a board they produces perfectly fine for the DreamPSU campaign.
I’m getting pretty tired of waiting around, so i cant imagine what its like for you guys, I really do apologize for all this bother.
Once they have received the prototypes and get some kind of update from them, i will let you know.
They should arrive at the manufacturer pretty soon, i sent them via 3-5 day service.
Just as a side note, this unfortunately affects both the SaturnPSU and DreamPSU.
First of all, Happy 23rd birthday to the Sega Saturn in the US 😀
I received the sample boards from the manufacturer, We have spent 3 days trying to find the issue, and we think we have found it, without boring you all to much with the details, here is a word of advice, Don’t just immediately trust a datasheet.
I have sent the findings to the manufacturer and they will be testing them and i should hear back by Tuesday or Wednesday next week.
Hopefully everything will be fine and we can proceed with the manufacturing.
I’ll keep you updated as usual when something interesting or worth sharing happens 🙂
Have a great weekend, or what’s left of it.
We are pretty sure the issue is resolved, However they are sending me some sample boards so i can check them over and make sure they fully work as expected.
Thanks to Bank Holiday Monday the sample boards wont be in my hands until at least Tuesday, despite being sat in a DHL warehouse not to far from me.
I will let you all know how it goes and give you an update as soon as there is something to update 🙂
Thank you all for your understanding and I hope you enjoy your weekend.
Take a seat, I have some potentially bad news. I messed up.
When i sent the SaturnPSU’s away for manufacture, i messed up the BOM (Bill of Materials) by marked one of the resistors as 124k and not 121k that it should have been. As a result, the boards now output the wrong voltage on the 5v rail.
Luckily, they caught the issue in testing and emailed me 10 minutes ago about it. I just wanted to get this out there now as i don’t want to hide anything.
Worst case scenario is they wont be willing to change the resistor out on the SaturnPSU’s, if that it the case, they will be shipped to me and i will have to do them manually, this will take a fair amount of time.
Best case scenario is they replace the resistor with the correct one, and they ship me a working product.
The plan was to have all your orders shipped out by the end of April, despite the estimated delivery date on indiegogo, however that has now passed due to the backlog the manufacturer has.
Whatever the outcome may be, there will unfortunately be a delay in shipping your orders. But you WILL get your order.
I hope you will all forgive me for this stupid mistake, and be understanding of the impending delay.
I will keep you all updated as and when i get information.
I was hoping that by now i would have some more solid news. Unfortunately, that’s not the case, Word from the manufacturer is that the SaturnPSU’s will be shipped out to me at some point next week, and can take about a week to arrive.
Once they arrive, I will have to fully assemble the main power cable and test them. Then make up your orders and ship them out.
So, although it looks like the May delivery date will be reached, its looking closer to the latter half of May.
Thank you everyone for being so patient, and a note to anyone who is thinking of doing this kind of thing in the future, Don’t do it over Chinese New Year.